Air fryer baked potatoes are the best! Crispy on the outside and so smooth and fluffy on the inside, these make the best side dish!
Baked potatoes are such a versatile side dish that go well with everything. If you’re grilling outdoors, then you can make baked potatoes on the grill (that smokey flavor is so good!). And if you’re indoors and the oven is busy, you can easily make baked potatoes in the air fryer! Super simple, yet so perfect!
Why this recipe works
If you own an air fryer you know it’s a total life changer! Air fryer is easy to use and the result is always delicious. And if you try making baked potato in air fryer, you’ll be hooked! Bonus point: You don’t have to wait for it to preheat!
Making baked potatoes in the air fryer is very simple and what I love the most is that it gives you perfectly baked potatoes with the crispiest skin! While the outside is perfectly salted and crispy, the inside is soft and fluffy, perfect with some butter or sour cream.
What kind of potato to use
Like oven baked potatoes, I prefer russet potatoes for this recipe as well. However, yukon gold works well too. You want starchy potatoes because those taste best when baked. And please make sure they’re almost the same size so they all cook within the time and won’t end up overcooked or raw.
How to make air fryer baked potatoes
- Wash and dry the potatoes thoroughly and make sure they’re completely clean.
- Piece the potatoes using a fork and rub the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle salt on them.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket. Cook them in the air fryer at 400°F for 40 minutes. Flip them halfway through so they cook evenly.
How long to cook baked potato in air fryer
A regular sized russet potato takes about 40 minutes to bake in the air fryer. The potato is ready to serve when you can easily insert a knife into it.
Should I wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil?
To make air fryer baked potatoes, you don’t need to wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil. The air needs to circulate well to cook the potatoes and since the air fryer is small, they bake pretty well and don’t need to be wrapped.
Check out the complete recipe below where I show you how to make the best air fryer baked potatoes!
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- 3 russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and then dry them.
- Using a fork, pierce them in a few places.
- Rub the potatoes with olive oil and then sprinkle salt on them.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook at 400°F for 40 minutes. Flip halfway through so the skin gets crispy on all sides.
- Make sure the potatoes are almost the same size so they cook at the same time.
- You can serve air fryer baked potatoes with butter or sour cream.
- Make sure not to overcrowd the air fryer so the air can circulate.
- Russet potatoes are the best for this recipe but you can also use yukon cold. Waxy potatoes such as red potatoes are not suitable.