Air fryer sweet potato fries are crispy and delicious. Ditch the deep fried sweet potatoes and make this healthier version!
Love sweet potato fries? Me too! I’m not a deep frying kinda person so this air fryer version is a life-saver. If you’re new to the air fryer world, make sure to try our air fryer baked potatoes, they’re so easy and delicious. Now time for some sweet potato fries!
Air fryer sweet potato fries
This is a healthier recipe for the beloved sweet potato fries you find at restaurants. They’re lighter, cooked with just a little bit of olive oil and therefore have less calories. They go well with any main dishes and make a wonderful addition to many meals. even though they use so little oil, they still come out super crispy and perfect.
This is a healthier way to enjoy fries with your favorite dishes. Once you try air fryer sweet potatoes, you won’t go back to deep frying!
Everything about sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes have a special flavor that pair very well with many dishes (I love a good side of sweet potato fries with my burger). Their texture is a bit different from russet potatoes so let me show you how to cut them.
It’s best to have a few sweet potatoes of the same size. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into 3 or 4 slices lengthwise and then cut each slice into several slices with 1/2 inch thickness. Make sure the slices are dry and now you’re ready to make sweet potato fries in air fryer!
How to make air fryer sweet potato fries
- Place the sweet potato slices in a large bowl. Add olive oil, salt and black pepper to the potatoes and toss well to coat.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in the air fryer basket. Make sure not to over crowd and overlap them.
- Cook in the air fryer at 400° for 20 minutes. Shake the basket halfway through the cooking to make sure they cook and crisp up evenly.
A few tip to keep in mind
- Don’t overcrowd the basket: It’s best to air fry sweet potatoes in batches and make sure they’re not overlapping. This way the air can circulate and make each slice crispy.
- Cut the potatoes evenly: You don’t want some of the slices to be too thick and the others too thin because they won’t cook evenly. Try to cut the potatoes as evenly as possible to have the best results.
- Toss in salt at the end: I usually don’t salt the fries before cooking them. Tossing the fries with salt right after they’re out of the air fryer gives them a nice flavor while keeping them crispy.
Frequently asked questions
Honestly, these are best when fresh out of the air fryer. But if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, place them in the air fryer basket and cook at 350 for 5 minutes until warm and crispy.
Sure! Other spices and herbs you can use are garlic powder, onion powder, dried rosemary, dried oregano and cumin.
Mine usually takes about 16 to 20 minutes to cook complete and become crispy, but I suggest you start checking after 10 minutes. Every air fryer is different therefore timing could change.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 3 or 4 slices lengthwise.
- Cut each slice into several slices with 1/2 to 1/4 inch thickness. Try to cut them as even as possible.
- Toss the slices with olive oil, paprika and black pepper in a bowl to coat the slices.
- Place the sweet potato slices in the air fryer basket in one layer without overcrowding. You might need to cook them in batches.
- Cook at 400°F for 16 to 20 minutes and flip halfway through. The cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer.
- After they're cooked and ready, toss them with some salt and serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
- You can use other spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, dried rosemary or oregano for this recipe.
- I love tossing the fries with salt after they’re cooked so they have bolder flavor and are crispier.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, place them in the air fryer basket and cook at 350°F for 10 minutes until warm and crispy.