These crispy air fryer potato chips are delicious! You’ll need only 3 ingredients to make this easy crunchy snack!
Seriously, I don’t know what I would do without my air fryer! I make all kinds of dishes in it and the results are always great! Our air fryer baked potatoes and sweet potato fries are family favorites and I cannot wait to share today’s recipe with you: Air fryer potato chips! They are crispy and crunchy without all the deep fry and mess and make the perfect side for your favorite hoagie sandwich!
Making potato chips in air fryer
Let me get right to the point. You probably own an air fryer or you’re thinking of getting one. Maybe you got one as a gift at some point in the last few months and are wondering how much you’re going to use it and what you can make with it. Here are a few reasons to try making potato chips in air fryer:
- No mess: Deep frying brings a big mess. There’s oil everywhere and the aftermath cleaning steals the joy of making chips. When using your air fryer to make potato chips, you can place the basket in the dishwasher and there’s no mess to clean!
- Less oil: Classic potato chips call for frying, meaning you need to use a lot of oil. This air fryer potato chips recipe calls for only 1 tablespoon olive oil, yet the chips are still crispy.
- Clean ingredients: You need only 3 ingredients to make this recipe at home: potatoes, salt and olive oil. No additives, no weird ingredients.
Secrets to crispy potato chips
Follow these tips to have the crispiest air fryer potato chips ever!
- Choose the right potato: Russet potatoes work best when it comes to making potato chips. They have the right amount of starch to get crispy.
- Cut into equal slices: This is important for even cooking. I suggest using a mandoline to make potato chips at home.
- Soak in water: Don’t skip this step! Soaking the potato slices in ice water for 20 minutes makes them super crispy. Make sure to dry them completely before cooking them in the air fryer.
- Don’t over crowd: As tempting as it might be to cook all the potatoes at the same time, don’t do it. Layer the potatoes in one or two layers in the air fryer basket, a little bit of overlapping here and there is fine. It’s best to air fry potato chips in batches.
How to make potato chips in air fryer
Prepare the potatoes
Wash the potatoes and peel them. Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes thinly, about 1/8 inch thick.
Soak the potatoes
Fill a large bowl with water and ice. Place the potato slices in the bowl and make sure they’re not sticking to each other. Soak for 20 minutes.
Dry and toss with olive oil
After 20 minutes, drain the water and dry the potatoes completely using kitchen paper towels. Toss the potatoes with olive oil and place them in the air fryer basket. Make sure they’re not overlapping too much.
Cook in air fryer
Cook at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, flip once halfway through the cooking. Once cooked, toss them with some salt. Repeat the process for the remaining potatoes.
The best thing about homemade potato chips is that you can come up with your own flavors! Here are a few of our favorite flavors:
- Classic: Toss the potatoes with some salt right after the potatoes are our of the air fryer.
- Spicy: Add some cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning to the potatoes before mixing with olive oil.
- Garlic and onion: Sprinkle some garlic powder and onion powder on the potatoes before cooking them.
- Ranch: Toss the potatoes with ranch seasoning before cooking them.
Crispy Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Air Fryer
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Wash the potatoes and peel them. Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes into ⅛ inch thickness.
- Fill a large bowl with water and ice. Place the potatoes in the bowl and soak for 20 minutes.
- Drain and dry the potatoes completely using paper towels.
- Toss the potatoes with olive oil and place some of them in the air fryer basket. You'll probably have to cook the potato chips in batches.
- Cook potato chips in the air fryer at 375°F for 15 minutes. Flip halfway through and check to make sure they're not burning. The potato chips are ready when they start to get golden and crispy.
- It’s important to soak the potatoes in water to get rid of excess starch and have crispy potatoes.
- Other flavor additions are garlic powder, onion powder, cajun seasoning or ranch seasoning.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket with potato slices to avoid soggy chips.
- Slice the potatoes into uniform thickness and size using a mandoline for them to cook evenly.