Here is an easy baked potato recipe to keep on hand. With crispy skin and fluffy inside, these potatoes make the perfect side dish!
Baked potatoes are some of my favorite side dishes and there are different methods to make them. We have recipes for air fryer baked potatoes and grilled baked potatoes and today I’m going to show you how to make oven baked potatoes with just a few ingredients and a few minutes of active preparation.
Tips to make the best baked potato recipe
Here are a few notes and tips to keep in mind so you have perfectly baked potatoes every time:
- Choose the right potatoes: While it’s possible to make baked potatoes using almost any kind of potatoes, I strongly prefer russet potatoes. Their skin is thick enough to get crispy and still be edible and their inside is starchy enough to get super fluffy when baked.
- Size matters: Make sure all the potatoes are almost the same size so they cook evenly and at the same time.
- Flip halfway through: Flip the potatoes using a pair of tongs halfway through the baking to make sure they get evenly crispy on the outside.
How to make baked potato
Prepare the potatoes
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Wash and lightly scrub the potatoes. Dry them completely and place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Using a fork, pierce each potato multiple times. Brush the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse kosher salt on all sides.
Bake the potatoes
Bake the potatoes in the oven for 25 minutes. Flip the potatoes and brush with more oil if needed. Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes are cooked completely. You’ll know the potato is ready if you can insert a knife easily into the potato.
How to eat baked potatoes
Cut the potato on top or in half. Fluff the inside with a fork and top with butter, sour cream or cheese. You can even turn them into twice baked potatoes which are super creamy and delicious.
The serving size is usually one potato per person. You can even set up and baked potato bar with different topping such as chives, butter, sour cream, bacon bits and more!
What to serve baked potatoes with
Baked potato recipe FAQs
You don’t need to wrap the potatoes in foil for this recipe. We leave them uncovered to bake so they have the crispiest skin.
It depends on the size of the potatoes. Regular russet potatoes take between 40 to 55 minutes.
It’s best to eat baked potatoes right out of the oven when they’re hot and freshly baked. However, if you have leftovers, place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. You can make mashed potato cakes with the leftovers.
Perfect Baked Potato Recipe
- 4 russet potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Place them on the baking sheet and pierce them on all sides using a fork. Brush the potatoes with olive oil.
- Place the baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Flip the potatoes and brush with more olive oil if needed.
- Bake for another 25 minutes until the potatoes are fully cooked. You'll know they're ready if you can easily insert a knife into the potato.
- To serve, cut the potato in half and fluff the inside using a fork. Top with butter, chives or green onion and sour cream.
- You can make baked potatoes with almost any kind of potatoes but russet potatoes are the best. They get crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- Try to choose potatoes that are almost the same size so they cook at the same time.
- You can make a baked potato bar with different toppings such as bacon bits, sour cream, chives, butter and more.