Try this easy summer potato salad that’s packed with flavor. You don’t need fancy ingredients for a super-delicious potato salad!
Summer calls for all kinds of potato salads and this recipe is definitely a keeper. We love this recipe because of its simplicity. It’s perfect for barbecues, gatherings or even a simple weekday lunch.
The perfect summertime potato salad
When it comes to potato salad recipes, they’re all good! I love this potato salad because it’s packed with fresh veggies. Celery and red onion give this salad a nice flavor and almonds add a bit of crunch. Blended with a delicious dressing, this salad is the perfect addition to your table.
Let’s take a look at everything that goes into this summer potato salad.
I used russet potatoes for this recipe. They keep their shape pretty well and the texture is ideal. Also, they have enough starchiness to keep them soft and creamy. It’s best to peel and cut the potatoes into pieces before boiling them. This way they will cook faster while keeping their shape.
Red onion and celery
Raw red onion and celery add so much flavor and give a nice kick to this potato salad. Don’t skip them if you can!
For some extra crunch, add some chopped almonds to your salad. You can use either raw or roasted almonds for this recipe.
You can use some dill, cilantro, parsley and green onions for this recipe. Whatever you have on hand should work well.
Summer potato salad dressing
For the dressing, use a combination of mayonnaise and Greek yogurt. Flavor it with lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper. This dressing is light and doesn’t overpower the other salad ingredients.
Cook the potatoes
Wash and dry the potatoes. Peel and chop them into 1 ½ inch cubes. Bring a pot of potatoes to boil and add one teaspoon of salt to the water. Boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and let cool for a few minutes.
Chop the vegetables
Chop the celery, onion and herbs and add them to a large bowl. Add chopped almonds and mix them well.
Mix and serve
Add the cooled potatoes to the vegetables and stir well to combine. In a small bowl, mix yogurt, mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and paprika. Add the dressing to the salad and mix until combined. Refrigerate for about one hour and then serve.
Can I make this potato salad ahead of time?
I suggest you cook the potatoes and chop the other ingredients. Mix them in a bowl, cover and refrigerate. Make the dressing and refrigerate it separately. When ready to serve, mix the dressing with the potato salad.
This summer potato salad is the perfect side dish for barbecue dishes such as shish kabob or grilled chicken. You can also serve it with some crackers or simply as-is.
Storing the leftovers
Potato salad keeps well in the fridge for a few days. Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days.
Summer Potato Salad with Almonds
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon juice of
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Wash the potatoes and peel them. Chop them into 1 1/2 chunks and place them in a small pot. Fill the pot with water and season with 1 teaspoon salt. Place the sauce pan over medium heat and bring to simmer. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix red onion, celery, and fresh dill. Add in the almonds and mix well.
- Add the potatoes and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Add the dressing to the salad and stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for one hour before serving.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- This summer potato salad is the perfect side dish for barbecue dishes such as shish kabob or grilled chicken. You can also serve it with some crackers or simply as it.
- To make this salad ahead of time, cook the potatoes and let them cool. Mix the potatoes with red onion, celery, herbs and almonds. Cover and refrigerate. Make the dressing and refrigerate separately. Once you're ready to serve, mix the dressing with the salad and serve.