Fried Mashed Potato Cakes
Fried mashed potato cakes are the perfect way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Put a new twist on a classic potato side dish with this easy recipe!
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes cold
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour see notes
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
In a large bowl, mix leftover mashed potatoes with egg, all purpose flour and green onions. If your mashed potatoes aren't seasoned enough, now is the time to add more salt and pepper to the mixture.
Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Take a heaping spoon of the mashed potato mixture and flatten it into a round shape no thicker than 1/3 inch.
Place the cakes in batches in the pan and fry for about 4 minutes on each side until golden and crispy. Serve with sour cream and more green onions.
Here are a few flavor variations to make these fried mashed potatoes:
- Leftover chicken, cheese and parsley
- Bacon, cheddar and green onion
- Pepperoni and mozzarella
- Green bell pepper, corn and sundried tomatoes
- You can use any kind of leftover mashed potatoes for this recipe. I used cheddar mashed potatoes. Make sure the mashed potatoes are well seasoned. If not, add more salt and pepper.