Simple Vegan Potato Curry
In the mood for an Indian-inspired potato recipe? Try this creamy and rich vegan potato curry. Serve it as-is, over white rice, or simply on the side of warm naan.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 russet potatoes washed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large carrot cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 oz
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
Heat the vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent. Add garlic and saute for about a minute.
Add in the potatoes and carrots. Stir and cook for about a minute or two. Add salt, turmeric and garam masala. Cook for a minute. To the potatoes and carrots, add canned tomatoes and stir well.
Pour in the coconut milk and water into the pot. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 20 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
Take the lid off and add the frozen green peas. Stir and cook for two minutes.
- Store the leftover potato curry in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also freeze this curry for up to 2 months.
- You can add other vegetables such as spinach, cauliflower and zucchini to this curry.
- Serve this simple potato curry with white rice or naan.