Best Cheddar Mashed Potato Recipe
Ready for the ultimate cheddar mashed potatoes recipe? Creamy, smooth and bursting with cheese, this is the perfect side dish for any meal!
- 2 lb russet potatoes
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Wash the potatoes and peel them. If they are too large, cut them in half. Fill a pot with water and generously salt the water. Place the potatoes in the pot and bring it to boil. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and place the potatoes in a large bowl.
Mash the potatoes and then add in the butter, milk and cream. Mix until smooth and creamy. You can use a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer for this.
To the mashed potatoes, add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix well so the cheese is combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Seasoning: Since cheddar cheese is already salty, it’s best to season your mashed potatoes after mixing in the cheddar to avoid making it too salty.
- Leftovers: Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To reheat, place the mashed potatoes in a saucepan and add a bit of milk. Turn the heat to medium low and stir occasionally until heated through.
- White or yellow cheddar: I used white cheddar to make this recipe but yellow cheddar works too.
- Handle when hot: For the ultimate creamy and smooth mashed potatoes, add the butter and milk when the potatoes are hot.